Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Brutal Honesty

Katie's pediatrician says that 4 year olds are her favorite.  I don't have enough experience yet with the other ages to say if age 4 is my favorite, but there are definitely some hilarious aspects of dealing with our little 4 year old.

Four year olds are brutally honest creatures.  They have acquired a good vocabulary and communicate extremely well.  The only problem with this --- they have NO filter.  None!  I imagine the Preschool teachers at school (and Kindergarten teachers too) get their ears filled on a daily basis.

Now, you throw in being PREGNANT with a 4 year old in your house and it gets even more interesting.  Below are a few of mine and Katie's conversations over the past couple of months.  There have been TONS, but these are some of the most entertaining....and ones I just couldn't resist documenting (no matter how embarrassing).

Story #1:
I've been on a major clean-up and clean-out mission this past month.  With another little one on the way, I know the "stuff" in our house is about to double.  Quite a few clothes/shoes from my closet were included in the "clean-out" mission.  I bagged everything up and we headed to Goodwill.  Katie asked why we were giving our things away.  I reminded her that while we can't use them any longer, someone else might be able to.  She looked at me and said, "Yeah, maybe somebody that doesn't have a big baby belly can fit into your clothes."

Story #2:
One day, Katie and I were getting ready in the bathroom --- preparing to leave for Preschool.  She likes to put make-up on a "primp" with me.  Randomly she looked up and said, "Mommy, how is the baby going to get out of your tummy?"  I'd been expecting that one, and answered it according to plan.  PHEW!  So glad I had prepped.

Story #3:
Katie, Matt and I went to target a couple weeks ago to stock up on baby supplies (diapers, wipes, etc.).  As we walked in, Katie noticed that the bathing suites were already on the racks for sale.  She looked at a pink striped bikini and said, "Oh mommy, I like this one.  Isn't it pretty?"  Then she looked back at me and said, "Oh wait, you can't fit into this with your big belly.  Come one, I'm sure they have something in here that will fit you."  I looked back at Matt to see what his facial expression was --- he was doing his level best not to laugh.  Of course, when I started giggling --- he felt safe to do the same.

Story #4:
Normally at bedtime, I lay down in Katie's toddler bed with her to read books and snuggle up for bedtime.  The two of us, fitting into a toddler bed when I'm "normal" size is a tight squeeze.  When I'm super pregnant, its virtually impossible.  So, about 2 months ago I stopped laying in the bed with her and just sit in the rocker next to her bed.  She looked at me last week and said, "I'll be glad when the baby gets here and you don't have a big belly anymore.  Then you can lay back down in my bed with me.  I really miss that mommy!"

Katie oscillates between sweet and sassy --- and as Matt's Ganny used to say, she is "So Something."  As my due date gets closer, Katie has begun to ask me "Is the baby coming today?"  And I don't really have an answer for her.  I just say "Well, maybe --- it could be any day now."  She seems to be as anxious as the rest of us.  The last few weeks she has been exhibiting some regression behaviors (i.e. wanting me to rock her in the rocking chair each night before putting her into her bed, asking for her old pacifier --- which she didn't even use as a baby, etc.).  Overall, she's excited about the baby's arrival.  I just hope she transitions to the role of Big Sister relatively easily....


No comments:

Post a Comment