Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Pregnancy Top 10

I'm nearing the end of what will be my last pregnancy.  Well, if this isn't my last pregnancy, then our family planning efforts had an EPIC failure.  As I look back at my experience this time, and last --- I thought it would be fun to do a David Letterman style top 10 of my most favorite and least favorite parts of pregnancy.  If there are any guys out there reading this, you might want to skip this post.  For the ladies, I think you will understand.

TOP 10 Things I will Miss Most About Pregnancy 
1.  Feeling the baby move inside me.  No contest here.  I think its one of the special gifts that God gives mothers (possibly to compensate for some of the items on that second list down there).
2.  Knowing I'm growing a little person.  I mean honestly, it feels like some special super power or something.  Mommies --- we really do have a cool job for 9 months.  Even if we totally give up our bodies to do so.
3.  The Rock-Star parking spots.  Although I probably need the exercise, its really nice to park right in front of my work building and not have to walk 1/3 mile in the cold.  Yes, its nearly 1/3 mile from the parking lot to my normal building.  Also, lots of stores now have these --- and its a nice perk.
4.  Not having to suck in my stomach all day.  Its the one time in life you get to let it all hang out....and not feel bad about it.
5.  FOOD!  I love food when I'm not pregnant.  And somehow everything tastes even better during pregnancy.  Milk and Fruit have been my favorite during both pregnancies.  Although Chocolate/Sweets have run a close second during this one.
6.  My Skin, Nails, & Hair.  I have NO idea what makes everyone's skin and hair so much better during pregnancy.  I'm sure its a combination of the PreNatal vitamins and the crazy hormones.  Either way, I'm pretty sure this is the best my hair and skin will ever get.  Too bad I have to be the size of a blimp to get these benefits.
7.  Kindness.  People are unbelievably kind to pregnant women.  Random strangers give up their seats on a bus, assist you with your bags on an airplane (one flight attendant being an exception there), and are generally just excited/happy for you.  I realize this is a bit old-fashioned, but I love it --- its shows a certain "goodness" in society.
8.  My Hubby.  Matt is a wonderful husband and father.  As I've gotten larger and more uncomfortable, he's done a good job of spoiling and encouraging me.  Spoiling --- by taking over some additional household/Katie responsibilities....and Encouraging me when I feel like an exhausted, ugly, uncoordinated blimp.  
9.  Baby Hiccups --- this could probably fall in with item #1 above.  But the hiccup sensation is really different/odd, and Katie LOVES to feel it.  Definitely her favorite.
10.  Working from home!  This past month of my pregnancy I haven't been able to travel.  Oh my have I become spoiled.  Working from home (full-time) is NICE.  I drop Katie off at school each morning, I can start dinner during the late afternoon, or throw in a load of laundry as needed.  AWESOME!  Wait, let me say that again ---- AWESOME!  I'm going to have a major reality check when I have to go back to driving into the office/flying all over the place.


TOP 10 Things I will NOT Miss Most About Pregnancy 
1.  Sleep!  I'm a stomach sleeper.  PERIOD.  Which means for the last 2-3 months, I haven't been sleeping normally (I might be a bit cranky about it).
2.  CONSTANT bathroom trips!  The first trimester the bathroom trips picked up, then they were somewhat normal during the 2nd, and now in the 3rd trimester its RIDICULOUS!  I'm up 3 to 4 times each night to use the restroom.  
3. My Feet!  I cannot see my feet.  I make the most ridiculous/entertaining site when trying to paint my toenails (especially at 39+ weeks).  
4.  The Triple B!  What is the Triple "B" you might ask?  Boobs, Belly, and Butt.  You can probably add an "H" in there too for my hips --- or maybe a "T" for Thighs.  They all seem to grow to massive proportions while I'm pregnant.  Its yet to be determined whether or not they will return to their normal state.
5.  Back Pain.  I didn't have a great deal of back pain with Katie. Maybe because I didn't go full-term, and because she was TINY!  But this pregnancy my back pain has been quite annoying.  
6.  No Naps.  Second pregnancies are harder.  Part of that is because you have an energizer bunny (aka - Katie) running around like mad, who doesn't take naps, likes to be carried, and expects you be on your "A" game even when you are exhausted.  There has been no time/option for naps this pregnancy -- whereas last time I could be lazy for an entire Saturday if I needed time to recoup.
7.  Waiting.  I was doing great until these last 2 weeks.  But I'm not a very patient person (ask my husband), and waiting for this baby to arrive is about to drive me NUTS!
8.  People Trying to Touch Me!!  In our society there is an unwritten rule of thumb that specifies a 2-3 foot "personal zone."  People somehow forget this rule when you are pregnant --- and they somehow think its okay to touch a STRANGERS stomach.  It hasn't happened as much during my second pregnancy as with the first.  But it is weird.  If I know you, or you are family --- that's one thing.  I let Matt, Katie, and my mom all touch my stomach and feel the babies movements.  However, if you are a random person, why do you think this is okay?
9.  Shaving while pregnant.  I'll just leave it at that.
10.  Food/Drink restrictions.  Specifically caffeine, lunch meat, sushi, and wine --- I'm not sure which of those 4 items I've missed the most....but oh I cannot wait to have them back!  Although the wine will have to wait until after I'm done breastfeeding.

So ladies....did I miss anything?

1 comment:

  1. I pretty much agree with everything you said...and now I have baby fever. Oops.

    ReplyDelete