Thursday, December 12, 2013

Elfie Elf

We decided to start the Elf on The Shelf tradition in our house this year.  I actually asked for that as my birthday present in November.  It has been such a fun way to get Katie excited about Christmas -- though I'm not sure she needs any help in that department.
We started reading the book about a week or so before Thanksgiving, so she could grasp the concept of Elf on the Shelf and start thinking about a name.  For those of you who aren't familiar with the book --- the first day that your Elf arrives you must name him/her.

So, our Elf arrived on Thanksgiving Day.  We found him that morning above our dining room table.  His note said "I thought I would 'hang out' for Thanksgiving.  Hope you don't mind.  So happy to be here with you and your family.  Please be sure to give me a good name!"  After some debate and discussion about names our short list came down to Zart, Eli, and Elfie Elf.  Katie picked "Elfie Elf".....because "he's an ELF mommy."

Elf on the Shelf is one of those things that I thought was an AWESOME idea.  But, my ideas do not always translate to Katie excitement.  Fortunately, she warmed quickly to the whole idea.  Elfie has found his way into some odd places....left messages in toothpaste....used Katie's stocking as a sleeping bag....and even went fishing for goldfish in the toilet.  He's quite inventive with the spots he picks.
I've enjoyed the fact that Elfie is a good disciplinarian.  Each day we remind Katie that Elfie is watching to see if she is naughty or nice.  Its amazing how well it works!  So well in fact that the other afternoon I was fussing at Katie for not using her "listening ears".  She turned around to me and said...."Well Mommy, you aren't using your 'nice words' and I hope you know that Elfie can hear you right now."  LOL!



No comments:

Post a Comment